Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I'll Get the Towels....

Wow. That was a cool play to read, and I'm not usually one to enjoy that kind of thing.

I want to talk about trees. More specifically, I wanna talk about the downed tree in the Keller's yard. There are sooooo many things that it could and very well may be.

My initial thought after finishing the play was that the tree was probably put there to symbolize Larry's memory. It's so obvious. The one random night Ann, Larry's woman, arrives the tree snaps. The immediate day after that, all this dramatic crap happens, ending with towels and thorough carpet cleanings.

Seeing as Ann's arrival oh-so-subtly coincides with the dead tree, I think it's safe for me to say that the bad event of the tree is meant to contrast with Ann and Chris' engagement. Kind of like one thing dies, but something else is born. Like that.

Or, maybe the dead tree is supposed to symbolize Joe's imminent downfall, like a bad omen. It's no coincidence that Joe has kept his cover for years, and then it's compromised the day after Larry's tree snapped.

There's a lot there to compare with. I'm curious as to what everyone else made of the tree initially, before thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the tree symbolized the breaking of all the lies and the arrival of truth. Especially with Chris. He seemed to be the one that was broken the most when he was finally told by his father what really happened and to learn of his brother's suicide. Chris also planned to marry Ann, so the tree could symbolize his broken dreams since he won't marry her anymore. I am inferring as to what happens with their relationship since we are not told.

    Eternally Yours,
    Mo'e

    ReplyDelete