Friday, May 1, 2009

Doubt (movie) was great...

Yesterday, I rented Doubt from my local video store. Being my second time moving from a play to a movie, I had a somewhat reasonable idea of what to expect. I think overall, Doubt did a little bit of a better job representing its characters, but that's probably because the playwright got to direct the film. There are a few key things I liked in the film that definitely took the film to the same height as its paper-based counterpart.

The final scene with Father Flynn confronting Sister Aloyisius near the end was done well. Father Flynn showed appropriate emotions during the whole affair. Sister Aloysius showed little remorse for the situation and acted smug and unrelentless towards Father Flynn.

The sermons were another aspect I liked. Father Flynn spoke with passion to the congregation. The first sermon also introduced us to Sister Aloyisius, giving us an interesting first impression as she walked by the pews, correcting the students.

It was a good film, and I think it did the play justice. The characters' looks and personas were quite different than I imagined, but I suppose that's the risk you take when you watch someone's visual interpretations. I highly recommend it to the rest of you. It's certainly worth a rental.

3 comments:

  1. Sister Alyosius's "I have such doubts" at the end was very different than what I had pictured when reading the play. To Darren, and others who have seen the film, what did you think about that final moment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of expected it to happen something along the lines it did. It was a little strange one second seeing her grumpy and the next sobbing and snotting all over Sister James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It went as I thought it would. Maybe I wasn't expecting full-on sobbing, but I read the scene as Aloysius breaking down, like there isn't an emotional barrier between her and the world anymore. It is the first time we see her not 100% certain of the things around her, whether it be her actions or those of the church. I didn't see her delivering that particular line like all the others.

    ReplyDelete